Wednesday, July 13, 2011

Dream Mentions in the Quran

From: http://www.dreaminterpretation-dictionary.com/dream-mentions-in-the-quran.html

Welcome to our Dream Mentions in the Quran page.
Like the Bible, the Quran lays heavy emphasis on the value of dreams. This is because religion of any form is laden with symbolism and symbolism, as we are aware, is what the manifestation of dreams is all about. Add to this the religious postulation that dreams are the manner in which God converses with His followers, and that some dreams are prophesies given directly by that supreme deity, it is not hard to comprehend why dreaming is mentioned in Holy texts.
Below are the books of the Quran with respect to the topic of dreaming. If you are aware of others, please feel free to submit them.

Al-Anfal
“(And remember) when Allah showed them to you as few in your dream; if He had shown them to you as many, you would surely have been discouraged, and you would surely have disputed in making a decision. But Allah saved (you). Certainly, He is the All-Knower of what is in the breasts.” - Chapter 8, Verse 43.

Yunus
“For them are glad tidings, in the life of the present world (i.e. through a righteous dream seen by the person himself or shown to others), and in the Hereafter. No change can there be in the Words of Allah. This is indeed the supreme success.” – Chapter 10, Verse 64

Yusuf
"O my father! Verily, I saw (in a dream) eleven stars and the sun and the moon - I saw them prostrating themselves to me." - Chapter 12, Verse 4
"Thus will your Lord choose you and teach you the interpretation of dreams (and other things) and perfect His Favour on you and on the offspring of Ya'qub (Jacob), as He perfected it on your fathers, Ibrahim (Abraham) and Ishaq (Isaac) aforetime! Verily, your Lord is All-Knowing, All-Wise." Chapter 12, Verse 6
“And there entered with him two young men in the prison. One of them said: "Verily, I saw myself (in a dream) pressing wine." The other said: "Verily, I saw myself (in a dream) carrying bread on my head and birds were eating thereof." (They said): "Inform us of the interpretation of this. Verily, we think you are one of the Muhsinun (doers of good)." - Chapter 12, Verse 36
"No food will come to you (in wakefulness or in dream) as your provision, but I will inform (in wakefulness) its interpretation before it (the food) comes. This is of that which my Lord has taught me. Verily, I have abandoned the religion of a people that believe not in Allah and are disbelievers in the Hereafter (i.e. the Kan'anyyun of Egypt who were polytheists and used to worship sun and other false deities).” – Chapter 12, Verse 37
“And the king (of Egypt) said: "Verily, I saw (in a dream) seven fat cows, whom seven lean ones were devouring, and seven green ears of corn, and (seven) others dry. O notables! Explain to me my dream, if it be that you can interpret dreams." - Chapter 12, Verse 43
“They said: "Mixed up false dreams and we are not skilled in the interpretation of dreams." - Chapter 12, Verse 44
“(He said): "O Yusuf (Joseph), the man of truth! Explain to us (the dream) of seven fat cows whom seven lean ones were devouring, and of seven green ears of corn, and (seven) others dry, that I may return to the people, and that they may know." - Chapter 12, Verse 46
“And he raised his parents to the throne and they fell down before him prostrate. And he said: "O my father! This is the interpretation of my dream aforetime! My Lord has made it come true! He was indeed good to me, when He took me out of the prison, and brought you (all here) out of the bedouin-life, after Shaitan (Satan) had sown enmity between me and my brothers. Certainly, my Lord is the Most Courteous and Kind unto whom He wills. Truly He! Only He is the All-Knowing, the All-Wise.” - Chapter 12, Verse 100
"My Lord! You have indeed bestowed on me of the sovereignty, and taught me something of the interpretation of dreams - the (Only) Creator of the heavens and the earth! You are my Wali (Protector, Helper, Supporter, Guardian, God, Lord.) in this world and in the Hereafter. Cause me to die as a Muslim (the one submitting to Your Will), and join me with the righteous." - Chapter 12, Verse 101

Al-Isra
"Verily! Your Lord has encompassed mankind (i.e. they are in His Grip)." And We made not the vision which we showed you (O Muhammad as an actual eye-witness and not as a dream on the night of Al-Isra' ) but a trial for mankind, and (likewise) the accursed tree (Zaqqum, mentioned) in the Qur'an. We warn and make them afraid but it only increases them in naught save great disbelief, oppression and disobedience to Allah.” - Chapter 17, Verse 60

Al-Anbiya
“Nay, they say: "These (revelations of the Qur'an which are revealed to Muhammad are mixed up false dreams! Nay, he has invented them! - Nay, he is a poet! Let him then bring us an Ayah (sign as a proof) like the ones (Prophets) the former were sent (with)!" - Chapter 21, Verse 5

As-Saaffat
“And, when he (his son) was old enough to walk with him, he said: "O my son! I have seen in a dream that I am slaughtering you (offering you in sacrifice to Allah). So look what you think!" He said: "O my father! Do that which you are commanded, Insha' Allah (if Allah wills), you shall find me of As-Sabirun (the patient)." - Chapter 37, Verse 102
“You have fulfilled the dream!" Verily thus do We reward the Muhsinun (good-doers).” - Chapter 37, Verse 105

Al-Fath
“Indeed Allah shall fulfil the true vision which He showed to His Messenger saw a dream that he has entered Makkah along with his Companions, having their (head) hair shaved and cut short] in very truth. Certainly, you shall enter Al-Masjid-al-Haram, if Allah wills, secure, (some) having your heads shaved, and (some) having your head hair cut short, having no fear. He knew what you knew not, and He granted besides that a near victory.” - Chapter 48, Verse 27

No comments: