By: Porfessor: Shahoul Hameed
There are a number of vital differences between the Qur’an and other scriptures like the Torah and the Gospel:1. From the moment of the first revelation to the Prophet (pbuh), the believers were learning the Qur’an by heart, and recording it correctly. It is obligatory that every Muslim must learn at least a portion of the Book by heart. There are thousands and thousands of Muslims all over the world, who have learned the whole Qur’an by heart; and no other book has such an honor. From the very beginning, the Qur’an has been in the hearts and hands of the people; and no other book can make that claim.
2. The Qur’an is the Last Testament of God for Man; it is Divine Guidance perfected and preserved from corruption; and it is the only Book that calls itself “a Guidance for the God-fearing” and “a Healing and a Mercy for the believers” most emphatically; and repeatedly it is stated that it is from the One and Only God of the universe. Neither the Torah, nor the Gospel does this.
3. The Qur’an is the completion and confirmation of all the truth in the previous scriptures; it verifies and affirms the truth in all the Books of God and recognizes all the prophets of God before it, including Noah, Abraham, Moses and Jesus, peace be on them all. No other scripture does this.
4. The Qur’an is a complete Guidance to man, and Muslims must order their lives in accordance with the norms given in the Qur’an in all walks of their life; while other communities do not make such a claim about their scriptures.
5. The Qur’an is the most frequently read book in the world, as its verses are recited five times daily in the prayers all over the world; and all pious Muslims read at least a few verses from it every morning. This has been happening without break for over fourteen centuries. Is their any other book like this?
6. A whole month of fasting and prayer is held in commemoration of the Descent of the Qur’an to the earth; no other book has such an honor.
7. The Qur’an is the only scripture that remains intact in its original form, in a living language, namely Arabic. And what is more, it is still understood by the Arabic speaking peoples; because the Qur’an has been keeping all through the centuries its unchallenged sway over the grammar and syntax of literary Arabic; whereas the original languages in which all other scriptures were revealed or composed are dead languages now.
Allah says in the Holy Qur’an: “If there were a Qur’an with which mountains were moved, or the earth were cloven asunder, or the dead were made to speak, (this would be the one!) But, truly, the command is with Allah in all things! Do not the Believers know, that, had Allah (so) willed, He could have guided all mankind (to the right)? But the Unbelievers,- never will disaster cease to seize them for their (ill) deeds, or to settle close to their homes, until the promise of Allah come to pass, for, verily, Allah will not fail in His promise.” (13:31)